Portobello Capital’s priority is to maximize value for its investors and partners.
At Portobello Capital we systematically identify asymmetric deals:
- Broken deals.
- Misaligned stakeholders.
- Complex situations.
We invest in companies with growth unrelated to Macro and with the following investment criteria:
- Leading companies in underpenetrated market niches, defensive with non-cyclical characteristics, with cost advantages and clear growth potential, both domestic and internationally.
- Top level in-house or external management team.
- Leverage capacity.
- Based in Spain.
- Any industry sector excluding financial services, real estate and IT.
- Enterprise value between €50 and €500 million.
- Equity investment between €10 and €100 million.
- Mostly controlling stakes.
We create value boosting real growth in the companies we invest in, playing an active part in their management:
- Strengthing and incentivising their executive teams.
- Working on the definition of the strategy.
- Encouraging organic and inorganic growth, in domestic and foreign market.
- Increasing operational efficiency.
- Applying controls to provide maximum information and transparency.
- Demanding financial discipline.
We feel comfortable in almost any investment situation:
- Transition in family-owned businesses.
- Sale of non-core asset sales by industrials.
- Involvement of management teams in the capital of the company (MBOs).
- Consolidation/build up processes.
- Opportunities for operational improvement.
- Companies undervalued by the market.
The mayority of our investments have been originated proprietarily.
Types of operations
The most regular types of operations are:
- Replacement capital: acquisitions of companies with and without debt (LBOs, MBOs, MBIs).
- Development capital: injection of capital to accelerate growth and / or strengthen the financial structure.
We have a wide variety of capital solutions to suit all types of operations. We apply flexibility and creativity to adapt to the needs of our sellers, buyers and partners.